Monday, January 30, 2006

Life of a Systems Programmer

I have started working on my Masters thesis these days. It involves a lot of changes to the 2.6 O(1) scheduler and I am having a few (rather many) nightmares.The kernel has been compiled 140 times already and my laptop hard disk has to bear all the heat. I fear it shud not crash; its making all kinds of weird noises when i run my scheduler. It would be nice to have a simple way to try out changes in the kernel instead of a full recompile each time; any takers for this project?

My Windows XP machine too seems to be behaving oddly these days with crashes being the norm rather than the exception. It failed to detect a LAN connection and running 2 VM's (out of which 1 was doing fsck) on top of a meagre 1GB memory put the final nail in the coffin. I tried using Ubuntu (one of the freebies i got), and it failed to install wireless connection, so dumb of it.

As you can see, life is currently full of pain handling all different types of s/w and Operating systems. Wait for the launch of GodCatch-OS, thats what i say to pacify myself; after all thats what is every system programmer;s dream!!

No comments: